Thursday, June 22, 2006

And the hits just keep on comin'...

I smoked a cigarette today.
Yes, yes I did, and I'm not even sorry. Much.
One.
Single.
Cigarette.
First one since Christmas day. I did it for two reasons:

A. I am weak
and
2. I've had a very trying week.

As you know, Monday my boss let us know that she's closing the doors of our studio for a six week 'hiatus'.
hoooooookay. I stayed strong, but I almost caved and smoked. Almost.

The week so far has been filled with a hundred small miseries~~nothing major, nothing really out of the norm, nothing that I can't usually handle. I stayed strong.

And then today...I get one of those scary calls from home.
Let me just show you what I've been dealing with since about 12:30 this afternoon:






Can you see the 10 staples?
She didn't even cry when they did it. Damn, she's tough. I fucking cried, but she didn't.

My gorgeous girl was horseback riding, the horse got spooked and ran under a tree, and a big ol' sharp branch split her scalp. AND knocked her off the horse, adding insult injury to...injury.

Now, just as a precaution, I must wake her up every two hours tonight to ask her questions like "What's your name?" "What's my name?" "What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

But I'm not complaining. I'm thankful it wasn't her eye, or her face...I'm thankful it wasn't worse...I'm thankful it wasn't a skull fracture (although they did take X-rays to make sure)...I'm thankful my dear friend came to the ER when he found out I was there and sat with us and then took us to Coit's...for all that and so much more, I am thankful.

But I'm thinking I should ask my fabulous friend Megan to have one of her Conversations With God to see if he's mad at me or something.



Doctor: "OH my GOODNESS, baby girl, what did you hit?!?"
My Daughter: "Well, when I fell off the horse I hit the ground..."

She is her mother's daughter.

No comments: