Friday, October 14, 2016

Get the skinny on Skinny & Co...or Put The Lime In The Coconut.

In case you missed it, the Ceremonial Unboxing Of The Goodies video can be seen in the previous post.  (Yes, I realize this post is somewhat delayed but HEY I wanted to make sure I used all the products more than once to give you an accurate review. I DID IT FOR YOU.)

Skinny & Co sent me a nice box of samples of different coconut oil products.
I do like coconut oil and often cook with it.
This company makes beauty products from coconut oil too, so I was anxious to give it a try.

FAVORITE: The Sugar Scrub.
(This one was not a consumable but since the ingredients only listed the coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla bean, I tasted it. YES I DID. And it was good.)
ANYway.  I used this scrub on my footsies and it did make them so soft and smooth. No residual stickiness.  I would recommend it!

Now, a year or so ago my Facebook timeline was filled with people touting the Joys of Oil Pulling.
Google that if you don't know what it is...but basically you put a lump of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around like Listerine, only for like 10 or 20 minutes.
YES THAT IS A VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME.
But I have friends who swear by it, claiming it is good for their gums and enamel and makes their teeth even cleaner when they brush.
I  have no idea if those claims are actually true, but the Skinny & Co Oil Pulling is infused with some peppermint and did not gross me out.  In fact after using it and then brushing, my mouth did feel clean and BONUS, my lips were nice and soft and smooth.
Downside: This product is pretty spendy.

The moisturizer/makeup remover was pretty okay -- it took considerable rubbing to get my lashes clean but on the other hand, my skin felt soft afterward without a leftover greasy feeling. That was one of my main worries going in. Plus it's infused with chamomile and some other oils and it smells really nice.

And last but not least, the moisturizer/metabolism booster that actually IS supposed to be consumed. Now as an external moisturizer, I had high hopes since my hands and arms get so dry...but (maybe it's just me) it didn't really absorb to my satisfaction.
The website says you can add this to a smoothie (which I don't ever make) or oatmeal (which I rarely eat) or even off the spoon (which...YUCK NO).  So a friend said "Try it in your coffee!" and I'm all "Okay!" and I did. It wasn't bad, and my coffee had a light coconut scent which was not at all unpleasant.

***LET ME JUST DISCLAIMER FOR A SECOND HERE: I do NOT like fresh coconut meat very much. I do NOT like candy like Mounds or whatever that is all made of coconut. I DO like the teeny bit of toasted coconut on top of girl scout Samoas cookies)

So the coconut oil in my coffee wasn't terrible, just had to give it a stir before each sip.  I did not notice my metabolism boosted, though.  I also rubbed it on a whole chicken in lieu of my normal olive oil before oven roasting, and it was tasty and make a delicious crispy skin which of course I pulled off and stuffed in my mouth like a hyena before it was even cool.

Overall, if you're a fan of coconut oil in general for cooking or beauty or both, I would recommend these products.
For me, they're a little too far on the pricey side - if you're on a tighter budget, you'd be better off just getting that big jar of coconut oil at the Big Box Store for $8.99 - although it won't smell or taste nearly as nice.



**stuff I have to let you know:  YES, these samples were given to me for free by Skinny & Co in hopes that I would review them, which I have. NO, I was not told what kind of review to post or threatened with waterboarding if I had anything bad to say, my opinions are aaaalllll my own because I DO WHAT I WANT.

No comments: