Monday, September 17, 2007

Mother Talk Book Review! Come & Get it

"Shakespeare, Mr. Pearl, is not just art. It's a religion." ~~Athenaide, Interred With Their Bones



When I was offered the chance to review a suspense novel for Mother Talk, I jumped right on it because I LOVE LOVE LOVE this type of book.

It's called Interred With Their Bones (bring back any high school memories?) by Jennifer Lee Carrell.

Here's what:
The book opens with the burning of The Globe theatre, in Shakespeare's own time...and segues nicely into present day and a frantic search for works of literature and art, zipping across countries, finding clues and deciphering their meanings, and an ever-growing cast of characters.

A long lost Shakespearean play, a second burning of The Globe, anxiety that you can feel...mine shafts and Shakespeare In The Park, murder and betrayal.

There are a couple of very significant plot twists that I didn't even see coming. I'm not one of those people who always says, regarding book or movie, "OH, I had it figured out way before the end!"
(P.S. I really hate those people. We get it; you're smarter than everyone else. Okay then. You're also very very annoying)
Anyway. I don't actively try to figure out the plots, for the most part--if the story is truly engaging then I'm traveling right along with the characters, finding out what THEY find out as they do it.

You know, every few years it seems the headline pops up: "Was Shakespeare Really The Author?"
Funnily enough, it has popped up again--I just read a Yahoo! teaser about two weeks ago that proclaimed the same thing. Apparently this becomes a hot-button issue every so often. Truthfully I've never thought much about it...until I read this book.
I have to tell you that there is compelling evidence that Shakespeare actually...
Well. You'll have to read the book and find out. A lot of the historical information is fact-based due to the author's own fascination with and study of The Bard.

This novel is wonderfully prose-y...typically I don't prefer that in my suspense novels but it was beautifully written without being overdone.

And also? I learned many new Shakespearean quotes, which is a bonus because, well, quoting Shakespeare makes me sound smarter.


This book is a definite YES, READ IT! from me.
(and just to whet your appetite, here's a little bit of backstory from the book)

Now I shall amaze you with my smartness:
"The evil that men do
lives after them;
the good is oft
interred with their bones."


Thank you, and goodnight.

No comments: