Sunday, January 08, 2006

What's in a name, anyway?

"...so I called him a mother-fucker. Which...which...is linguistically correct, because I'm a mother and he....used to..." ~~Goldie Hawn, Wildcats


So I've never thought of myself as a "Mommy Blogger". I never really thought anyone else did, until I somehow found myself saddled with that label at the Thunderdome. I have no idea why. I don't write about my kids all that often...do I? I don't post a lot of pictures of them...do I?
So I wondered how I got the 'dreaded' Mommy Blog tag.

Luckily, I wasn't one to get my knickers in a twist, my panties in a bunch, whatever, over something like that.
I don't find "Mommy Blog" an offensive term.
I don't know why some people, even those who are actually Mommies, do find it offensive.

WHY is it offensive?
My pal MommaK posted that very question when I was embroiled in the Thunderdome contest.

Seriously, you can actually hear the sneer when someone mentions "Mommy Blog".
How did the connotations become so negative?
Do those people truly hate their own mothers so much?
Do they have no respect for the woman who gave them life?

When did it become fashionable to deny your motherhood? Do you dislike being a mother so much that you must protest Mommy Blogdom in your loudest voice and vilest language?

Niiiice example you're setting for that kid.
I look forward to seeing you all on Jerry Springer someday.

Mommy. Blogger.

Are you a Mommy?
Do you blog?

Why do the two words combined in a linguistically correct term drive people into such a frothing frenzy?
I'm guessing that those people might not be very good at either thing.

But what do I know?
I'm just a Mommy.Blogger.

I feel pretty good about that.

No comments: