Sunday, November 09, 2014

My First ComicCon: A (mostly) Pictorial Essay

#WWTulsaCC
So I got home today from the Tulsa ComicCon. It was sort of a surreal experience; not only did I get to actually leave hearth and home (and children OMG YES) for the best part of 3 days, I went to this huge event ALONE.
Yes.
ALONE.
Which, as you know, is how I typically prefer things, but most of you also know I am not really sociable on my best day and  I tend toward introversion and wall-hugging in large crowds, parties...dates. Whatever.
Let me take a quick moment to say THANK YOU to the considerable number of people it took to make this trip possible and hella fun (since it almost got sunk a couple of weeks ago when my original sitter backed out): Mom, Mary, Karly, Becca, Shawn, Cathy, and Brad.

You will be surprised to learn that I was shockingly social this weekend, including asking to sit at some stranger's table in an overcrowded cafe, talking to people with whom I stood waiting in lines, and of course actually being able to speak to my heretofore pretend boyfriend, James Marsters (some of you know him as Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer). It's totes okay to be jealous of me. I encourage that.

And do not be afraid - I will be back in normal misanthropic form as soon as my James high wears off.

The bonus part was getting to spend some (excellent in quality but sadly short in quantity) time with one of my oldest friends (agewise AND longevity-wise)(hahaha keedeeeen)(sort of).

There was one guy there who looked JUST like Hugh Jackman as Logan (Wolverine), but since he was married to Wonder Woman I decided I better not ask to get a picture.

Let me just say that this weekend was the first time I've felt the pain and regret of not having a smart phone, because (as you shall see for yourself) my crappy little phone only takes crappy little pictures, blurry and dim and horrible. Fortunately for me, I still have all the memories and they're in HD.
Unfortunately for YOU, you'll have to use considerable imagination.

So here I am on the day, getting ready to head to T-Town for my Happy Funtimes Weekend:


And of course I hooked up with my boyfriend James right away:
Sadly, it was not hooking up in the biblical sense. #HisLossToo #JustSaying

**Please forgive the utter blurriness and poor quality of the following fotografs**

ALSO: Let me just add that Norman Reedus, while I did not get a photo of or with him, seemed to be a pretty spectacular, personable guy. He went hours over and above scheduled photo-op and autograph times, often stopping to pop his head out and say HI to the people standing in various lines. I got to see him and spoke to him, and I'm almost fairly kind of sure he might have smiled and/or tipped a wink in possibly my general direction or perhaps to one of the people surrounding me...but I'm not quite 100% on that.
He appeared to make himself pretty accessible to fans and was definitely the hot ticket at this convention.
Also ALSO he was very sexy. A little dirty looking. I like that. #SupaHot #DixonsVixens
For him I would volunteer to be


ANYWAY.

Speaking of The Walking Dead, I sat in on a panel with Shane and Hershel:


They were very entertaining, and also I learned a new Waylon Jennings song that Shane/John Bernthal loves:


Also the Formerly Alive Other Dixon Brother (Merle), Michael Rooker. He sort of gave off an arrogant, bad boy vibe ( but SO FUCKING CHARMING!) - I would hit that in a red hot minute:
Someone asked how he enjoyed working with (my other pretend boyfriend) Nathan Fillion, and he said, "You should ask Nathan Fillion how HE enjoyed working with ME!" which is totes a fair point but DO NOT DIS MY BOYFRIEND NATHAN EVER EVER. #BrowncoatsForever #Shiny

I also enjoyed sitting in with Freddy Krueger - he is definitely a talker. Is it just me or is Robert Englund starting to look like Gandalf?


BIG NEWS: I SAW THE SHAT in all his Captain Kirk-y Denny Crane-ness:



He is actually just what I expected. Also? His roles are #Typecasting, for sure.

After all the Shatner goodness, I had to step outside for a breath of fresh air. It was chillier than I thought it would be (and me without my jacket!) and I soon discovered why:

Then all of a sudden, I was compelled to shout...

...and immediately was transported through a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey vortex of some sort


where I immediately encountered a very young, sweet, and handsome Harry:

Who was heard to say, "We're not friends. I don't like him and he doesn't like me. What if he sees me and calls me POTTAH?!"
At which point I noticed Draco Malfoy lurking through the crowds, looking evil and wicked and smug as always...



Actually Tom Felton was extremely nice and accessible, wandering through the lines of fans, speaking with the girls, asking them questions (and making them so giddy and giggly I actually smiled)(shut up, we will never speak of that again), just very casual and lovely and sweet.

I was thrilled to run into one of my favorite romantic couples, Daenerys and Khal Drogo:


Although to be honest I was a little worried that a typical GoT bloodbath would erupt in their wake. Luckily, I made it out alive.

I have to be honest and tell you I pussed out on Sunday, Day 3 -- many of you know I have a lot of chronic back pain and sciatica and unfortunately I was not up to the challenge. Probably I missed some of the best stuff on the last day but I DO NOT CARE BECAUSE JAMES MARSTERS.
Also as #BadMotherOfTheYear I feel it's important to note that my decision had zero to do with getting back home to the children; I could've easily stayed away several more days without a single squidge of guilt. Oh, you #PerfectMoms and #Hoverounds can shut it. I will cutchoo like...someone with a sharp cutting thing.
Plus I know for a fact that I'd've ended up spending $50 for a damn autograph (and OMG REALLY $50?? For THAT??) which we all know I'm much too cheap frugal to do and would've regretted later when I really needed to buy something, like new books. Or, you know, food.

AND OF COURSE I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST.

James Marsters. During his panel I wanted to ask how it was kissing John Barrowman on those episodes of Torchwood but I was too skeert. Fortunately for me and great minds that think alike, the very last person they took a question from asked it. I can't really remember the answer because I was too busy remembering the actual scene.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
What?
Where was I?

Right-o.
So I got to actually meet him in the flesh, and he made such direct eye contact when he shook my hand that I'm surprised the smoke alarms didn't go off with the sudden rise in my body temperature. He hugged me and I had to make a concerted effort to keep my hand off his ass...and then he squeezed my hand as I was leaving. I'm pretty sure he's in love with me. Because what's not to love?
See how he was looking right at me? Can't you feel the sexual tension just oozing between us? I KNOW.



He was delighted to dress up as Spike for me for a little role-play fun as we spent some time together in the amazing hot tub in my hotel room:


And here he is, just waking up this morning - James, you're such a cover hog in the middle of the night!


And then...dun dun DUN...it was time for me to leave. I will miss being in you, T-Town:


Now...when can I sign up for Tulsa ComicCon 2015????



No comments: