Monday, November 15, 2010

I may become an iPad fan yet

So I've mostly pooh-poohed the idea of the iPad - I mean sure, they look really cool and fun to play with and stuff, but did I NEED one? No. I've got 2 pcs and a netbook. I can't afford an iPhone or any kind of smart phone, but I haven't really noticed that I'm missing out on anything except playing Angry Birds or word games and frankly I don't have time for that anyway.

But then today, I saw that the iPad has apps for disabled kids.

I teared up at the thought that after 15 years, I might finally be able to communicate with my non-verbal son.
Maybe for the first time, he could actually TELL me that he's hungry or tired or has a headache. That he's thirsty, or angry.
For me, that's nearly impossible to hope for.

I think about 95% of people probably take for granted the ability to communicate with their children. To ask and be answered. And to be quite honest if I had "normal" kids I would be in that same 95% (PS I just pulled that number out of my ass, I have no statistics to back it up)
I just wish my boy could tell me where it hurts, but he can't.

SO! My goal for next year is to save up for an iPad, even though I have done WAY more than my fair share of eyerolling and being secretly resentful over the thing. It's going to be hard on a budget that barely allows for a splurge of a paperback book once a month, but I think I can do it.
Too bad I'm not one of those "popular" mommyblogger types who gets everything given to them for free (HINT HINT, APPLE PEOPLE).

This could change EVERYTHING.

No comments: