Friday, August 12, 2005

HOO-AH!

I love Thursdays. Why? Because they're MY Fridays. Then I get two Saturdays. And a Sunday.

ENROLLMENT TIME! At last the day has come...school starts on Wednesday so today I must go prepare for the inevitable hoop-jumping, otherwise known as Enrollment.
*sigh*
Seriously, why do they make it so difficult? So lengthy? I realize that my kids have only been going to their respective schools for five years...
but every year the same old thing: a scramble for paperwork, leases, birth certificates, etc etc etc.
Schools have to provide my kids with an education. And if you knew my daughter's school, you'd understand that hers would be the last school I'd try to 'sneak' her into. If I were going to do that, I would 'sneak her into my son's school, which I dearly love.


A word or two for a couple of specific people in my life:

I am well acquainted with my (many) shortcomings, thankyouverymuch. In fact, I might go so far as to say that we're on a first name basis.
So I don't especially need for you to point them out. Again.


My daughter, bless her pointed little head, has developed her own particular brand of subtle manipulation.
For as long as I can remember, I have been known (unofficially) as The Feeder of the Strays.
I imagine that my house and yard have been scent-marked, and that the animal
underground tells great legendary tales about their own Lunch Lady (aka ME). I know they pass the word.

Got a kibble jones? Head to Monty's. Dehydrated, dying of thirst? Need a pat on the head and a belly rub? My house is the place to be.
But this past summer, for one of the few times in Monty History, I am stray-less. Usually I have at least a couple of outside kitties that hang around now & then...but not this year.
I think the fact that my doggies love to "play" with cats could be a contributing factor. I'm almost sure of it.

My last little kitty went the way of the Tomcat last year, roving and prowling...he's probably knocking up some innocent little pussy (cat) even as I write.
His name is/was Hissy. Thanks to my daughter. That could also be why he left.
Anyway, I've left my point behind. Back on track.

My daughter misses Hissy. My daughter wants her sweet & loving Mommy to get a new kitten. An inside kitten, even.

"No, no, a thousand times no!" shouts Mommy Dearest, reaching for the Bon Ami and wire hangers.

So what does my ever resourceful daughter do?
She draws a picture of a cute little whiskery kitty.
She cuts out the picture.
........
........
........

She ties a string around its neck...and drags it around behind her.
For crap's sake.

No comments: