Sunday, July 09, 2006

Please Don't Heckle The Jeckles...

But first...
Never let it be said that I welshed on a deal.
this is an audio post - click to play


Don't forget to CLICK THE "SPONSOR ME" banner on the sidebar!!


Our guest post today is brought to you by one of my favorite boys, Jeckles. He's smart (and a little geeky, which is totally sexy), he is the host of the ever-popular SHITTY BLOG RADIO SHOW (which you really should listen to, EVERY THURSDAY at 9PM Eastern).
He's also participating in the Blogathon, and his charity is FREEDOM FROM HUNGER.
Yes, he will try to guilt you into sponsorship~which I think is an excellent idea that I'm stealing.
He tries to act like a hater sometimes, but don't let that fool you~inside, he's a genuinely nice guy. But please don't mention that I told you that~I promised to keep it under my hat. Whoopsie.

Show some love, people!


Jeckles sez:

Nothing profound here just another soliloquy ramble rant.

I am always hearing people talk about the Good Old Days.
Remember back in the day...

I hate it. This won't surprise those who know me. I hate many things.

People like to dwell on the past, as though it was some magical time. I have friends who do it. My wife does it. And it seem that every place I go to, I am subjected to stories about how great it used to be there. It's bullshit.

But there is more to this...
True, I can't stand the way people go on about their Good Old Days.
But the real rub is that I don't have any Good Old Days.

I have no desire to relive my high school days. Why would I want to return to that alienation? That awkwardness? I walked around looking like a misfit. Not misfit enough to hang with the punks, not dumb enough to hang with head bangers, but too freaky to hang with those college bound types. The teachers all believed I was on drugs, but somehow didn't notice Johny football player passing that joint to Sally cheerleader. No. I don't want to be there again.

My college years hold nothing special for me. I screwed up. I failed out. I got nothing out of college.

My 20's. Free, single and wild? Drunk, alone, and stoned. I wasted my twenties trying to drink myself to death. Do I look back fondly on those days? Hell, I can barely remember them. And what I can remember is shrouded in Darkness.

Now. I'm married. I have two great kids. I'm sober and stable. Take your Good Old Days and keep them. The best days of my life are right now.

I look forward. I am aware (all too aware) of what has passed, but I do not care to dwell on it. Or to paint it as something bigger and better than it was. I've wasted most of my life. I am done with waste. I am living my life. My life right now, not how it was or how it might be.

That is all.
( <--**Ed. Note: Dude, you totally stole that from me. I'm flattered. *winky smile*)


Thanks Jeck! I appreciate you doing this for me, even though you didn't want to. And I find myself in agreement~these are the best days, because you're (I'm, we're) living our lives, how they are.
If more people would remember that, perhaps they wouldn't always have to be 're-discovering' and 're-inventing' themselves, perhaps they wouldn't be so miserable all the time.
You rock, Geek Boy. :)

No comments: