Friday, August 11, 2006

Don't you know that you are a shooting star?

"Star of my life, to the stars your face is turned; Would I were the heavens, looking back at you with ten thousand eyes." -- Plato


If you're a stargazer, you'll want to be outside tonight for the Perseid Meteor shower-after midnight should be prime viewing. (Aug. 11-13)
I have so many trees around my house that it's difficult to see, but there's a big field behind me and I may venture out there to give it a look. I love meteor showers. I get to make a zillion wishes.


I'm a terrible friend and a slacker, because I meant to post that yesterday was my darling MEGAN'S BIRTHDAY! It's never too late to offer your birthday wishes, PLUS read her always stellar Fiction Friday entry. Go now! Hurry!


"Today gives us a chance to love, to work, to play, and to look up at the stars." -- Henry Van Dyke


I like to work. Yes, it's true, I do. I'm no workaholic by any means, but the thought of NOT working makes me uncomfortable. I think that even if I were independently wealthy I would work at least part time, or perhaps volunteer somewhere.
But still.
Sometimes it hits me where it hurts, and I feel some...regret? Sorrow?

I regret that I have been unavailable to spend lazy afternoons at the park with my kids.
I feel sorrow that I have been unavailable to run my daughter hither and thither, from friend to friend, event to event, from Girl Scouts to Dance to Sara's for a sleepover.
I have been unavailable for daytime school programs, for PTA, for special events.
Too often I've been...just unavailable.

Mama's sorry, kids. I'm doing the best I can.
You are the stars of my life.


"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."-- Vincent Van Gogh

Yeah, me too, Vince.


speaking of STARS...

No comments: