Sunday, February 07, 2016

Ash and Me VS. The Evil Dead, or ComicCon Tulsa 2015

I meant to show you my second comiccon in November, but I've been disinclined to sit in front of the blank Blogger page. Plus stupid facebook and work and kids and laundry.

In 2014, I went to my very first ComicCon, and I WENT ALONE. If you know me and the social anxiety I've developed over the last 10 or 15 years, then you realize what a big deal that is. You can check it out here: My First ComicCon - A mostly pictorial essay (it was AWESOME and I felt like part of a tribe)

I GOT TO HUG MY BOYFRIEND JAMES MARSTERS OMG.
The thrill has not gone away yet.

In 2015, I was lucky enough to find a fellow nerd and Bruce Campbell-lover to go with me - my friend Nicole. It was even more than double the fun! Check it out.


First there was a tearful goodbye with my children - I knew that I would barely be able to stand being away from them for nearly three whole days! *sob* They just clung to me and begged me not to leave - I almost gave in.



Luckily Nicole showed up and gave me the strength to leave, and we hit the road for Tulsa! We checked into the hotel and got ready for HAPPY FUNTIME WEEKEND!


We had a nice view outside...



But inside was a little terrifying when we got to the elevator. Apparently the Zombiepocalypse has already happened in Tulsa. Or maybe it was like all those creepy kid handprints on the wall in Blair Witch house. (SRSLY what happened here?? **embiggen to see better)



So we set off to find ourselves a good time. We fit right in with the crowd.







**There was actually a little girl in there, driving it around. I wanted one of those - I would go around in it all the time!


We decided to take a joyride in this....


And ended up going BACK IN TIME (maybe we shouldn't have been using Reverse gear?) and ran into a much younger Ash (although truth be told, I much prefer his older self, RAWR #SilverFox):

As you can tell, he was very happy to see us!  Then we found jokers and aliens and clowns, oh my!




And sweet transvestites from transsexual Transylvania. Because natch.

And his housekeeper, whom I tried to employ but she was all I DON'T DO WINDOWS. OR CLEANING. OR ANYTHING.


We found The Dude, abiding as usual. Tried to get him to Netflix & Chill with us. I can't say any more about that because of the nondisclosure agreement, but I do have a new rug that really ties the room together.


Eventually Nicole was excited to run into her First! First Doctor, that is --


We were trying to abscond with him in this...

...but then these guys got in our way.



Captain Jack would've taken us away on his ship, but he was drunk as usual.

I was taking a picture of some people dressed up and David Tennant photobombed my picture!


And then we were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the doctor's next incarnation - I guess they decided to go from one extreme to the other, from Old Geezer Capaldi to this guy:


By then we were hungry and tired so went in search of food and then rest because the next day WE WERE GOING TO MEET BRUCE CAMPBELL.
Found a little Mexican food place that we all agreed on - as you can see Ash was bogarting the salsa and had a leeeeetle too much of my margarita. I could see where this was going.





YEP, HANGOVER TIME. Luckily Captain Mal brought me and Bruce some coffee




He wouldn't get up, he wanted me to come back and snuggle some more. Awwww!



Time to head back to the convention center and get some shanking tips from Taryn Manning - you may know her as Pennsatucky on Orange Is The New Black. We really enjoyed her session - she seemed pretty humble and down-to-earth, very friendly and receptive to fans.

BUT THE BEST PART OF THE DAY WAS BRUCE. (Did I mention we actually MET him? And he touched us? *wink wink* And we had our pictures taken with him? BE JEALOUS)


And I took a selfie with EVERYONE. Well, everyone on my side of the room. 


Then it was sadly time to say GOODBYE COMICCON and we hit the road home, stopping in to see a few local sights between Tulsa and Midwest City.  First stop - center of the universe! No seriously, this is actually a thing. Plus it's very cool. Click that link I just gave you and read about it. We'll wait here.


This is where the center of the universe (me, doy) met the center of the universe. I'm surprised you all didn't feel the earth move or get lightning struck or something at that exact moment.


Every town needs a giant gold man. Right? He's a real "driller" #IfYouKnowWhatIMean (Tulsa is an oil town, doy. Why, what were you thinking I meant??) Nice belt buckle, dude.


And there is a CEMETERY IN THE PARKING LOT of a strip mall. WTAF?
But it was very old and nicely kept and probably they wanted to make sure they didn't stir up a whole Poltergeist thing.


We found some cool graffiti here and there, and I was wondering if this was Tulsa inviting me to stay there forever:

Buh bye, T-Town...until next year!


HUGE kisses and hugs and thanks to Nicole, without whom this trip would not have been possible for me. XOXOXO

No comments: