Thursday, June 11, 2015

What Happens Next Will Give You Chills! #FakeUpworthyTitle

I read with two sets of eyes.
Doesn't everyone?

I always read for pleasure, but when I read a book specifically for review, I use my Critical Eyes.
I pay more attention to the flow and language of the story. I am on the lookout for excessive hyperbole and jacked-up timelines. If it's a mystery or thriller, I do my best not to think about whodunit or the final outcome - and Stephen King has trained me not to assume or even expect a happy ending.



Not your typical heroine.
Just an ordinary woman doing her best to overcome extraordinary events in her life.
**No spoilers here, because I believe that you should pre-order/buy the book and read it yourself. The ride is worth the cost of admission. If you want to know more of what the book was "about", go read the blurbs.

Swerve by Vicki Pettersson has definitely earned the category of psychological thriller.  Not to compare authors or books, but reading Swerve gave me the same anxiety I felt when I read Dean Koontz's Intensity (many many many years ago).  A lot of ...well, intense events happening in a short period of time.

I was lucky enough to get an ARC to read, so I realize it's not the FINAL final product all prettied up and tied with a bow -- there was one part regarding a water park that was a little jumbly for me because I couldn't actually picture it (and the fault may lie with *me* there), and there were a lot of adjectives and similes that *I* feel could go away and not hurt the story -- but those were just my Critical Eyes issues and personal preference.

What I can tell you is this: From the very first page, this book was engaging. The transitions from past to present mostly flowed really well. I was drawn along the heroine's (Kristine's) journey, I winced at her pain, I talked out loud to the book (SHUT IT, this is just something I do. I give advice to the characters. I also do this with TV shows. Usually I'm just shouting WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHOOT HIM?!)(OH PLEASE, don't act like you don't do this).  I cheered for her, I applauded her decisions, I felt sick at heart for her. I loved the little teasers of Kristine's backstory and could hardly wait to find out the whole truth of it.
I was Involved, which to me means the book was very good.

Vicki Pettersson is a new author to me, but I hear that she's written a couple of dark fantasy series, which I know will definitely appeal to some of you. That style is not my usual gig, but I can tell you that I'm going to read them because if Swerve was this good, then the others must be good readin' as well.

This is definitely a recommendation for you - Put SWERVE on your to-read list.
YOU DO WHAT I SAY.

Thanks for reading! Now go away. #GetOffMyLawn #GoReadABook
Crazy Eyes, Critical Eyes...potayto potahto



**CRAP I HAVE TO SAY: Yes, I was given an Advance Review Copy with the understanding that I would write an HONEST REVIEW. No, I was not given any advice or direction or some other person's words to copy or use because MY OWN DAMN OPINION is all I care about. I have not received any compensation (or even the promise of such) for this review other than the awesome FREE ARC. 
Seriously, like I would recommend a book that I hated. Pffft. I DO NOT PLAY.




No comments: