Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gift Idea #1!

I love to read. I love to find new authors - especially around the holidays because then I have stuff to add to my "All I Want For Christmas List".

The ladies of Mother Talk were kind enough to help feed my addiction and send me a copy of Knit Two by Kate Jacobs.
Usually I try to avoid coming in to the middle of a series when it's a new author, because sometimes the sequels or thirds don't stand alone very well.

I was a tad worried when I started reading Knit Two because the first few chapters were a little confusing, what with the introduction of a LOT of characters all at once.

Once I got 'em all sorted out in my mind, though, I was drawn right in. It's the story of the lives of a group of women - all ages, all lifestyles - that bonded over knitting.
I know firsthand how easily some bonds are formed, when you click together instantly with someone into lasting friendship.

They travel, they fight, they love, they have sex, they get married and divorced and give birth and grow up...
and the best thing was that from the oldest to the youngest, each character had some trait that I strongly identified with, when I thought, "EXACTLY!" or "RIGHT!" or "OH YEAH, been THERE!".

For me, that's the mark of a good book - once I got past the initial character muddle I was completely engaged.
Also it made me order the first book in the series, because I'm very curious as to what transpired before I came in.

I give it a thumbs up, and recommend that you give a copy to the Readers on your Christmas list.
Or better yet, give it to yourself.

No comments: