Sunday, June 17, 2007

Let's Celebrate

but first...
Tune in to my show tonight on MPYR Radio for an hour of classical, jazz, and easy listening. I'm feeling me foin Irish roots tonight, so we'll have some Celtic music as well.
Be there. 11pm EST.


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all my favorite daddies out there.
I am lucky enough to have TWO dads.
So...

Dear Bio-dad,

Thanks for your part in creating me. Even though you & mom got divorced when I was 18 months old and I didn't see you more than 7 or 8 times between then and my 18th year...I don't hold that against you. I know you've been married a BUNCH of times--I probably don't even know about all of them, since you do not talk about your past. At all. Ever. That's okay.
I know that you're still afflicted with itchy feet that make it impossible for you to settle in one place, as evidenced by the fact that in the last five years you've moved no less than ELEVEN times.
But we have a good relationship now...and you & stepmom have been married for 19 years. We see each other frequently, we're pretty darn close considering, and I'm very glad that we have each other.
So, thanks for everything. I love you.

Love,
Me


Dear Dad-who-adopted-me-when-you-and-mom-got-married,

Thanks for being my Daddy. You know what I remember about your wedding to my mom? Your cousin Joe. I loved him so much, with all of my five-year-old heart. I remember running up to give him a hug and a kiss first thing. Your family STILL teases me about that...and I remember that for years and years Joe was the man to which other boys had to measure up. Maybe because he's a lot like you.
You spanked me. You grounded me. You yelled at me.
You coached me for 8 years in basketball and softball.
You came to school plays, you traveled with my ball teams, you paid for all the stuff that went along with that. You were at my dance recitals that one year I took ballet and tap.
You drove me where I needed to go...you taught me to drive. You weren't my creator, but you were, and are, my Daddy.
In case I forgot to tell you...thanks for everything. I love you.

Love,
Me

No comments: