Monday, May 29, 2006

In Which I Say Thank You

"Perhaps I had a wicked childhood
Perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth

For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good..."
~~Julie Andrews & Christopher Plummer, The Sound Of Music

So...thanks so much for...you know.
Quite frankly I often wonder what I did to deserve you.
And I mean that in the good way.


I was wondering...
How is it that when I'm at my friends' house, they get to control the remote...and when they come to my house, they still get to control the remote?
This confuses me every.single.time.


OH! Quick book review.
Ever since I saw the movie The General's Daughter, I've been a huge fan of Nelson DeMille.
I love that guy.

So I've just immersed myself in this:


...and the main character, John Sutter, could actually be a member of my family.
The book is written in such a...conversational tone.
With high doses of sarcasm.
The funniest thing is that some of the remarks John Sutter made could have come straight from my mouth.

In fact I read a particular line that I actually thought I made up, even though I've only had occasion to use it perhaps three or four times...

Someone: "I can't join you; I'm having people for dinner tonight."
ME: "Oh? You must give me the recipe!"

I read that in the book. Perhaps not word for word, but close enough.

How can this be? Dammit.
I'm guessing that most of the little things I say have already been said.
Are there no original ideas left????

But read it anyway...it's good.


Do you have auto-responses?
You know, the ones that pop out before you can catch them...

Someone: "To make a long story short..."
ME: "Too late!"
(sometimes this is followed by a horrified look, because I couldn't stop it before it leaked out)

Someone: "Go to hell!"
ME: "I did, but your mom said you weren't home."

Aaaaand, the one mentioned above, about the recipe.
Please tell me I'm not the only one.
Please.

P.S. I ♥ you. Pass it on.

No comments: