Friday, November 25, 2005

A Post In Two Parts...Part I

I have to say that this Thunderdome challenge has been a...well...learning experience for me.
I have learned many things.

I have learned that I can take criticism without responding with (too much) anger...and if you knew me in real life, you'd know that that never happens.

I have many, many friends online who I dearly love and admire. And appreciate. And am grateful to 'know'. And they like me back.

I discovered that the people who couldn't find anything either interesting or funny here also did not have much of anything to offer me on their own blogs. I couldn't connect with them, for whatever reason.

That's quite all right~it only shows our diversity.

I also found that most of the wonderful people who showed me such incredible support were the ones who ranted and complained less and shared more.
The ones who give us all their feelings, rather than just the "fuck this fuck that fuck you" stuff. (not that that offends me, I actually have a fairly foul mouth myself and do enjoy a good mind-blowing hissie-fit of a rant now and then)

Whenever I did read a negative comment about this blog...well of course it stung a little bit, and I had to wonder why they felt that way. So I would visit their blogs to try and gain an inkling of insight.

What I found was that the people who don't like it here are mostly the people who prefer the obvious humor, like I Love Lucy rather than, say, The Vicar of Dibley.
That's not a bad thing, it just is.

I simply prefer to stay away from the obvious, for the most part...or most likely I'm so obtuse that I don't see the obvious and always enter through the back door.
I mean hey, I like to watch the antics of Moe, Larry, & Shemp every now and then, but I don't want a steady diet of it.

What appeals to me is the humor that is expressed in the lift of a brow, or the accent on a particular word, the twist of a phrase.
Not Keystone Cops.

For some people, the reverse is true.

Again, neither is a bad thing, just different.

I have learned that some people take themselves far, faaaaar too seriously.
I have no idea how to even do that.
I was chatting with a friend of mine the other night and received this message:
"It's funny: I know you have a serious side to you, and that's a side that I respect and admire, but as far as your own self-image goes ... I can't imagine anyone who takes his or herself any less seriously than you. Your goofy demeanor, and the way you poke fun at yourself is something that tickles me no end. Your sense of humor is as deep and sincere--and wacko--as any I've run across."

That's one of the best compliments ever.
"Wacko" is the new "cool".


So to all the people who 'just can't get into' anything here...I salute you!
I don't understand you...but I don't have to.


This fall I have been invaded...

*shudder*
I am TERRIFIED of the damn things.
The other night I was on the computer and my daughter runs in to tell me that one of them was on the mat by the front door. I told her to run in my bedroom and get my bug-killin shoe (nice flat, hard sole).
She got halfway into the kitchen and I heard a scream and the words, "MOM! HELP! WE'RE SURROUNDED!"

*sigh*

No comments: