Friday, July 08, 2005

Why my Friday looked a whole lot like a Monday

The clothes I stuck in the dryer last night were a little damp this morning, so I turned on the dryer whilst I went to get showered & ready for work.

Once I was all nice and dry this morning, I went into the laundry room to get my clothes out of th dryer.
Aaaaah, nice toasty shorts and t-shirt (my typical work-wear).
Got all dressed.
Bent over to pick my belt up off the floor...and let out a bloodcurdling scream of pain when the hot metal of my button hit my belly.
I have perfectly round little red blister there now.

And then...

As many of you know, my son is disabled & he doesn't chew very well. Plus he suffers from many food allergies, so I make his food fresh every day.

So as I was opening cans of veggies and dumping them into the food processor...the handle on the can opener broke. I managed to jerry-rig it long enough to complete my can opening duties and get all the veggies and nice cooked chicken into the food processor.
I put the lid on.
I pushed "On".

After a few seconds, I heard a terrible sound and smelled a burning smell.
The blade that was partially cracked on the food processor has now gone to that big ol' grinder in the sky.
Great. I've so far managed to kill two small appliances in one morning.
I'm so not getting near the microwave.

Not enough for ya? Wait, there's more...

When I moved into my house several years ago, I was stone cold broke. So rather than pay a big deposit for a new phone line, I got a secondary line off my parents' main line (they happen to live next door to me). That way all I had were the regular line charges. I've had no reason to change that.

So after the burial of the dead appliances and the application of burn cream to my tummy, I go grab the phone to make a call.

Here's where the story gets really embarrassing.

I push the 'talk' button...and instead of a dial tone, I hear a 'brrrrrring! Your call can not be completed from this number'.
For crap's sake.
I stood there for at least a full minute, slackjawed, staring at the useless phone in my hand. I guess I was expecting it to apologize and say they'd made some mistake.

I mean, I'm sure I paid the bill last month. I'm almost absolutely mostly certain I did.

In fact, my bill isn't due until the 4th or 5th of every month, so at most I'm a couple days late, right?

Luckily for me, I'm able to think on my feet so I grab the handy-dandy cell-phone, dig up an old phone bill to call the customer service people.
AND again luckily for me I'm somewhat anal and/or compulsive about saving receipts.
Turns out I had actually paid a phone bill...they credited the payment to mom & dad.
Gee, I'm such a thoughtful daughter!

Here's the really sad and pathetic part: I have absolutely no idea how long my phone might have been off. For all I know it was off all week.
I have no clue.
Does that give you any insight into my life?? ;)

And to think, all this before 8:30 am.
The silver lining was that the day could surely only get better from there.
Post a Comment