Sunday, May 29, 2005

It's a good news/bad news sort of day...

I have no coffee in the house. This does not bode well. For anyone.


Actually, a task for you I have! *she says in her best Yoda voice*
Today is the 24th (I THINK it's #24) Birthday of my most excellent and wonderful co-worker, RORY.

What I request is that you all go over to her place, hide behind the nearest sofa, then when she comes in jump out & yell "SURPRISE! Happy Birthday!".
Hopefully this will have the dual entertainment factor of not only making her feel warm & fuzzy, but also scaring the shit out of her. *giggle*

Seriously, she's sweet, bright, nice, and a bunch of other terrific adjectives.
She also has the incredible good taste to share many of my own proclivities toward music, movies, actors, tv, and general thought processes.

I guess you could say she's like a little me...only cuter. And thinner. And smarter. :)

So please, if you want to spread a little sunshine (and I know that you do!), pop on over to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Rory.
You can blame it on me, even.



Now, I want to say a few words about Grams, my great-grandmother.
A major influence on my life. When I was young, she was my caretaker most summers whilst my parents worked. She had a large hand in my growth and development.
She taught me to make pineapple upside down cake the old-fashioned way, in a cast iron skillet. We made one for a school carnival when I was in 3rd grade...and it caused a bidding war at the fund-raising auction. I do believe it went for the highest price.
She made me choose a switch of the bush in front of her house...so that she could smack my butt with it. I learned quickly that the thin ones are not the ones to choose. Luckily, this wasn't a necessary punishment more than once or twice.
She took me to church. In fact, the church where both she and I have a membership is the church I've been attending since I was about 13 years old. I still love it there.
She taught me responsibility...and woe to those who did not complete the jobs the right way. There was no half-assing chores at Grams' house.
She always gave me lots of love, and homemade frozen fruit cups. :)
The last few years she has suffered from Alzheimer's, which has gotten (as it does) progressively worse.

My grams passed away last night.
I don't know what to do.
My heart is a little bit broken.

Middle of the night phone calls always bring bad news.
I know she's better off now. I know it.
But the knowing doesn't make it any easier.

No comments: